Standard Motor Products SK25 Connector





Click Here





Monday, December 16, 2013

Review Roadpro 12V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter

Review Roadpro 12V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter

Review Roadpro 12V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter
I bought this cable to go along with the viair 85P portable air compressor, that way I didn't blow fuses.

As soon as I opened the cable, I noticed it was only a couple feet long, which is not very long, but I was happy anyway.. The clamps also don't open up far enough to connect to a battery terminal securely.

I took it outside and plugged it up to my compressor, popped the hood of my car and as soon as I opened the clamp the positive wire fell out of the clamp.

Once I inspected the wire and the clamp, you could clearly see there was almost NO solder on the wire, and what little bit was on it was a "cold joint". The cable was also not crimped to the clamp like it was suppose to be (it looks like someone forgot to crimp it) , which is another reason it came apart.

I went ahead and pulled the sleeve off the negative clamp and noticed it WAS crimped (unlike the positive clamp), but the solder was also very little and cold-jointed.

Both clamps were also forming rust around the solder connections where the wire goes.

LUCKY FOR ME, I own a soldering station, so I disassembled both clamps, cleaned up the rust, re-soldered them on PROPERLY and THEN crimped them. They work perfect now and should never come loose again.

This is the first time I've ever rated a product 1 star, but when it literally falls apart as soon as you remove it from the box , it deserves 1 star.

I'm just glad I wasn't stuck somewhere on the road with a flat when it fell apart on me. Luckily I ALWAYS test my equipment before I rely on it for emergency use.

I wouldn't recommend this product unless you own a soldering iron and want to take the gamble of fixing it yourself or returning it to amazon.

EDIT: I bought another set of these cables, and they were properly crimped and soldered, I will upgrade my rating from 1 star to 2 stars, but RoadPro needs to improve their Quality Control.
Review Roadpro 12V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter

No comments:

Post a Comment